Begin Main Content Area

Recovery House Licensing

Upcoming Licensure Program for Recovery Houses

The Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs (DDAP) is developing a licensure program for drug and alcohol recovery houses. DDAP is working to get this new program up and running.

Upcoming Timeline

DDAP’s Final-Omitted Regulations on Standards for Drug and Alcohol Recovery House Licensure were approved by the Independent Regulatory Review Commission (IRRC) on October 21, 2021. Now that IRRC has approved the regulations, they remain within the time frames for review by the Office of Attorney General and the House Human Services and Senate Health and Human Services Committees.  Following the review period, if the regulations are not disapproved, they will become effective when they are published in the PA Code & Bulletin and DDAP will begin accepting applications for recovery houses seeking licensure.

Which Recovery Houses Will Need a License?

Once the new licensing program is in place, DDAP will require drug and alcohol recovery houses to get a license if they:

  1. Want to receive referrals from state agencies or state-funded facilities, or
  2. Want to receive federal or state funding to deliver recovery house services.

In addition, the law imposes two additional requirements on referrals to recovery houses:

  1. persons whose treatment is funded with state or federal funds shall only be referred to licensed recovery houses.
  2. courts shall give first consideration to licensed recovery houses when residential recommendations are made for individuals under their supervision.  

If you are opening a recovery house for the first time, DDAP recommends that you get connected with your local Single County Authority (SCA). The SCA is the agency that administers drug and alcohol activities in your area.

Stay Informed

If you would like to be kept up to date on the commonwealth’s progress toward developing the new regulations, please complete this form and email the completed form to You will receive a periodic email with updates on DDAP’s work.  

Filling out the form will allow DDAP to keep you up to date on key information related to the upcoming regulatory action on recovery houses. It does not bind individuals to a course of action, nor does it start the application process for licensure or certification.